To fort, or not fort, that is the question -

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To fort, or not fort, that is the question -

Ok, so there has been some questions on forting and events - is it needed since PVP bonuses don't apply to fortification? This will be a tad long, but stay with me. The answer like most things is: "depends." The depends part pertains to your goals in PVP and how big the bonus is. I'll use The Architect as an example. I'll compare the health of an un-forted Archi, a T1 Epic forted Archi, and an archi with T3s/T4s and T2 leg forted in various event bonus structures. I'm also going to assume this guy is in a team with another archi and a BM - so we're getting 135% from auras as well. I'll also show the calculation I used for each event structure.

#1 - Un-forted Archi: 4533
    #2 - T1 Epic forted Archi: 8818
    #3 - Heavy leg forted Archi: 13398

So let's see how these guys compare in various events:

Event 1: 200% bonus ((base health*3)+fort points))*2.35 health aura
    #1 - 31,958 (61% of #3)
    #2 - 42,027 (80% of #3)
    #3 - 52,790
    • As we can see here, the unforted archi (#1) has 61% of the health in the event that the heavily leg forted archi (#3) does - the epic forted one (#2) has 80% of the health. So you can get 80% of the performance in health with T1 epic forts in a small bonus event as compared to heavy leg fortification
    • Note that with no bonus #1 would only have about 33% of the health as #3 (4,533 vs. 13,398) - so the event bonus effectively gives you something similar to having epic forts when compared to #3 even if you have no fortification at all...and this is a fairly small event bonus

Event 2: 400% bonus ((base health*5)+fort points))*2.35 health aura
    #1 - 53,263 (72% of #3)
    #2 - 63,333 (85% of #3)
    #3 - 74,096
    • Expected results based on what we see in event #1
    • Epic forting here is looking pretty appealing, especially if you are targeting a PVP bracket outside of the top 100 or so - 85% of the value of heavy forting

Event 3: 300% bonus and 100% stack bonus (((base health*4)*2)+fort points)*2.35 health aura
    #1 - 85,220 (80% of #3)
    #2 - 95,290 (90% of #3)
    #3 - 106,053
    • Stacking gives the unforted #1 Archi 80% of the health of the heavily forted #3 archi...
    • Stack is where forting really begins to lose its potency

Event 4 500% bonus & 200% stack (this was the GW Finals structure) (((base health*6)*3)+fort points)*2.35
    #1 - 191,746 (90% of #3)
    #2 - 201,816 (95% of #3)
    #3 - 212,579
    • So in the GW event, you pretty much didn't need to fort your GWs at all with this kind of event bonus as unforted #1 had 90% of the health as the heavily forted #3 - the fortification value really was nullified - epic T1 fortification got you 95% of the performance of a heavily leg forted toon

Event 5 1500% bonus & 500% stack (the recent rare PVP bonus) (((base health*16)*6)+fort points)*2.35
    #1 - 1,022,645 (98% of #3)
    #2 - 1,032,715 (99% of #3)
    #3 - 1,043,478
    • So in the rare event bonus - fortification was pretty much pointless.

What does this mean for fortification:
    • If you generally target in the 101 - 1000 bracket and the event bonus is at least 200%, you are probably okay with epic forting your toons and probably even just rare forting - anything higher of an event bonus just makes this more so true
    • The breakeven for forting with legs or not forting with legs for me is 300% - if you are shooting for top prizes and the bonus is 300% or less, you probably need the leg forts in there as at 400% this is where you start to get 85% of the performance with just using epics - that gets you within RNG range and keep in mind that 85% is vs. heavily fortified leg units - vs. T1 leg units or epic / leg mixed units it would be even closer
    • Anything with a stacked bonus, you get little additional benefit out of leg forting vs. epic forting and if the event bonus is big enough you should just go with no forts

This has a lot of ramifications for buildings teams and preparing for events. For example, I'm still leg forting my main builds: Dwarves, Blights, Blue Mages...in addition to Uldred/WF. I compete at top levels with these toons so I want them maxed...but I've decided I can expand to more toons and just epic fortify and be okay in most events. If there is a no bonus event, where fortification will be a huge factor ... you can just use your best team anyway.

Great insight yet again Johnny.

Reading this thread really makes me want CG to rethink this format. I really believe that fortification should matter more, especially since there are PVP events with a bonus almost all the time. The last PVP event without bonus was so long ago I don't even care to remember.

Also, there have been more and more events where one group gets HP and another group gets power, how much value will you get out of your leg forts there? I'm willing to bet the fortification value goes way up, but probably still not enough to compensate for the increase in either health or power on the other (or same) group.

Reports of my assimilation are greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Originally posted by Pim Leenders View Post
      Great insight yet again Johnny.

Reading this thread really makes me want CG to rethink this format. I really believe that fortification should matter more, especially since there are PVP events with a bonus almost all the time. The last PVP event without bonus was so long ago I don't even care to remember.

Also, there have been more and more events where one group gets HP and another group gets power, how much value will you get out of your leg forts there? I'm willing to bet the fortification value goes way up, but probably still not enough to compensate for the increase in either health or power on the other (or same) group.
      Well for event where there is 1 with health and 1 with power, the same rules apply - so take this event and Fereldan - for their power forting is less important, but for their health that will be the huge determining factor since there is no health bonus on Fereldan. However, still may not matter as the 400% power bonus probably outweighs the fortification anyway. The no health to a group is also a disadvantage because now this lets other non-themed toons dominate - WF, or Ben / Tallis for example. Anything that gets initiative over your power boost. A fereldan squad other than NHx4 is a pretty terrible team to put in the defense slot as they are vulnerable to many other non-themed squads.

I'm uncertain how I feel about fortification applying or not to the event bonus. I kind of like being able to build secondary units with Epics forts and still be able to compete at decent levels in those events. I think you'll still need leg forts in most events unless there is a big stack if you are competing for top 100 or better. You won't be able to get away with 85% of the value and fight in the top 50. So fortification does matter - i'd say only in 2 events did it not matter at all: GW Finals and the rare event. I guess I'm indifferent because with leg forts I'll have a decent edge in most event structures and for teams I'm just epic forting I can still compete for decent prizes with a lesser toon investment.

Also, keep in mind you will need fortification for PVE - and who knows exactly what Nexus holds for changes in that regard....maybe PVP will change as well. This info may all be worthless in a few days.

Comment

I think they hold back on fixing this issue due to the Leogate.

Comment

Originally posted by syll View Post
          I think they hold back on fixing this issue due to the Leogate.
          Has been noted that the FR bonus will be fixed most likely in the next update - maybe this gets changed with that as well?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnySteel Alpha View Post
            Well for event where there is 1 with health and 1 with power, the same rules apply - so take this event and Fereldan - for their power forting is less important, but for their health that will be the huge determining factor since there is no health bonus on Fereldan. However, still may not matter as the 400% power bonus probably outweighs the fortification anyway. The no health to a group is also a disadvantage because now this lets other non-themed toons dominate - WF, or Ben / Tallis for example. Anything that gets initiative over your power boost. A fereldan squad other than NHx4 is a pretty terrible team to put in the defense slot as they are vulnerable to many other non-themed squads.

I'm uncertain how I feel about fortification applying or not to the event bonus. I kind of like being able to build secondary units with Epics forts and still be able to compete at decent levels in those events. I think you'll still need leg forts in most events unless there is a big stack if you are competing for top 100 or better. You won't be able to get away with 85% of the value and fight in the top 50. So fortification does matter - i'd say only in 2 events did it not matter at all: GW Finals and the rare event. I guess I'm indifferent because with leg forts I'll have a decent edge in most event structures and for teams I'm just epic forting I can still compete for decent prizes with a lesser toon investment.

Also, keep in mind you will need fortification for PVE - and who knows exactly what Nexus holds for changes in that regard....maybe PVP will change as well. This info may all be worthless in a few days.

I agree but probabily it is thought that way to diminuish distance between old or heavy spender strong players and newbies. I dont see any other explanation
            FOURTH INTERNATIONA HODA TOURNAMENT

http://forums.capitalgames.com/showt...s-P2P-Showdown

JOIN THE TOURNEY AND FIGHT AGAINST BEST HoDA PLAYERS

Comment

Ok, so there has been some questions on forting and events.....
              Really nice work Johnny
              FOURTH INTERNATIONA HODA TOURNAMENT

http://forums.capitalgames.com/showt...s-P2P-Showdown

JOIN THE TOURNEY AND FIGHT AGAINST BEST HoDA PLAYERS

Comment

Thanks so much for this JohnnySteel- it will make tiering up BD that much less painful.
                On that note, what do you think about LC Snug, can I also get away with t1 epic in health or does he need the T1 Legendary health forts to be effective? Ie 80% is effective for me.
                i

Comment

Originally posted by |WWJD| Riful of the West View Post
                  Thanks so much for this JohnnySteel- it will make tiering up BD that much less painful.
                  On that note, what do you think about LC Snug, can I also get away with t1 epic in health or does he need the T1 Legendary health forts to be effective? Ie 80% is effective for me.
                  If there are toons that you really want to perform at a high level than you still want leg fortification. Tanks in particular like Snug, I'd want max performance. Also, I can't really say if 80% is enough or not because the 80% depends on the event bonus - if the bonus is large it will be higher, if no bonus it will be much lower...but let's just say it is an 80% event, if you are going for top 250 to 500 I'd say that is probably enough. But if you want to go top 100 or especially top 25 the 80% will probably leave you at a disadvantage vs. many teams. You could make that up using runes heavily though - 2x power runes or 2x health runes.
                  From my experience with GW events where I used this approach, the epic forted toons work just fine for top 250 - 500. This was with a big event bonus though.

So for me personally I'm still leg forting my best toons and main builds. Toons that aren't primary to me though I'm just putting in epics. So if there is an event outside of my leg-forted builds with a really big bonus that shuts those teams out...I'm in good shape and can compete at least in the top 100ish range with my epic forted toons at t4. If there is an event with no bonus or a small bonus - I can generally just use my main leg forted teams.

I'd say if you want Snug to be part of your "main" squad or be a really strong build that you can go to - I'd use leg forts on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Riccardo Busia View Post
                    I agree but probabily it is thought that way to diminuish distance between old or heavy spender strong players and newbies. I dont see any other explanation
                    I'm not sure the reason either - can't remember if this is as intended or not. Syll indicates maybe this is broke. So maybe this will change soon.

You are correct in that this puts everyone on a more competitive playing field. You still get a notable edge in most events with leg forting, but it's muted a bit. Epic forted teams can beat leg forted teams if you get a decent help from RNG or use legendary runes.

Comment

Thanks so much JohnnySteel. A really comprehensive answer. I usually like to float around rank 60 PVP, and only do top 50 with 4xWF DF, if there is a really good reward there. I usually like to nudge most events.

2xBD, DP, LMT, Snug is going to be my secondary team for when I come across an opposing 4x WF and don't wanna next or rune

So leg health forts for Snug and some epic forts for power on my BD's. Thanks again for your advice!
                      i

Comment

I'm not sure the reason either - can't remember if this is as intended or not. Syll indicates maybe this is broke. So maybe this will change soon.
                        I dig up a bit and found out that fort has never been considered into the event buff calculation. Seems like my mind was playing tricks on me.

Here was questions asked by Ahoo during the aura stack changes, which was never answered by Kiv.

Originally posted by Ahoo AZ View Post
                        Hi Kiv,

While you checking for it, please help to verify the following as well
                        1) Why the event bonus is not taking fortified damage into consideration?
                        2) Ability such as Heal self and Heal Allies, is it affected by fortification damage and event bonus?
                        3) Similary, how does power up self or power up allies work with fortification and event bonus?

Thank you.

Comment

Excellent Analysis per usual Johnny, a few things I'd like to throw in for consideration:

Auras and Runes affect Fortified Stats. In this sense you can magnification on Fortified Stats through these means. In a recent conversation (on the forums with Adeildo Bezerra) it was discussed when/how the various bonuses were being applied, and it was shown that Auras (and my assumption is Runes as well) affect Forts on top of Event Bonuses affecting Base Stats. Therefore, with the right Aura mix and Rune usage, you can increase the 15% stat margin between Epic and Legendary forged toons further (not as far as a decent event bonus itself, but before than nothing). In most cases I hesitate a guess that the stat difference is such that RNG still plays a large role in deciding fights, however, that's always been the case in HoDA, so the status quo remains.

Furthermore, Gain and Drain calcs still seem to support the notion both mechanics work on "current" power, and "current" power is affected by forts as well as other bonuses. Even without magnification via event bonuses on Forted Power the difference in how much is gained/drained can be substantial. In addition to this is the notion of enough "HP", and in quite a few cases it is my higher forted toons, regardless of those fort stats being un/affected by event bonuses, that survive to attack again. Survivability, even a small amount, is a serious factor on a number of units, and even small improvements can matter in a long grind.

Comment

Originally posted by Riccardo Busia View Post
                            Really nice work Johnny
                            As always, thx johnny!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Dude ★ View Post
                              Excellent Analysis per usual Johnny, a few things I'd like to throw in for consideration:

Auras and Runes affect Fortified Stats. In this sense you can magnification on Fortified Stats through these means. In a recent conversation (on the forums with Adeildo Bezerra) it was discussed when/how the various bonuses were being applied, and it was shown that Auras (and my assumption is Runes as well) affect Forts on top of Event Bonuses affecting Base Stats. Therefore, with the right Aura mix and Rune usage, you can increase the 15% stat margin between Epic and Legendary forged toons further (not as far as a decent event bonus itself, but before than nothing). In most cases I hesitate a guess that the stat difference is such that RNG still plays a large role in deciding fights, however, that's always been the case in HoDA, so the status quo remains.

Furthermore, Gain and Drain calcs still seem to support the notion both mechanics work on "current" power, and "current" power is affected by forts as well as other bonuses. Even without magnification via event bonuses on Forted Power the difference in how much is gained/drained can be substantial. In addition to this is the notion of enough "HP", and in quite a few cases it is my higher forted toons, regardless of those fort stats being un/affected by event bonuses, that survive to attack again. Survivability, even a small amount, is a serious factor on a number of units, and even small improvements can matter in a long grind.
                              Agree on small improvements. In the analysis though I showed all final numbers including 135% worth of auras. If runes act as additional auras essentially, which I think they do in an event, the relative performance will stay the same (so it will still have 85% of the value because you are multiplying both numbers by the same amount). I think this is what you're saying. Another issue to consider is when the FR bonus is fixed and how that is calculated in a PVP - we don't know. FR bonuses are supposed to include fortification - if that calculation goes in to effect then FR toons with leg fortification will see a much bigger gain from the FR bonus than epic forted toons - even with a big event bonus.

Please anyone reading this take it more as informational and do with it what you feel seems correct. I hesitated to post this as I can't give any hard guidelines really and I don't know what CG is going to do with future bonus structure of PVP...and who knows what changes Nexus will bring.

I think the main takeaway from this is the larger the bonus or if there is a stack especially, the less impact fortification has on the outcome.

I can tell you what I did with this info / observation is I expanded my builds to include more toons at t4, but only epic fortified them. I never built GW before - only used as fort food, but I put together a t4 KA, NH, GWO, Barky, and GWA for the GW events - and they did well with the big bonuses in those events. I also wasn't shooting for high brackets though. Still - I've had fun building some cool secondary teams - I t4'd GCA and acquired a 2nd in the recent event along with LMT to build as well. I'll epic fort them - if there is a Warrior/Noble event they should do fine in a similar bonus structure along with BD/PC/Byron, etc. that are heavily leg fortified. If they are falling short in an event I really want to do well in, I can just go back and fort their slots with legs and all I've lost are epic forts. If CG changes the structure completely and all events include fortification ... well I have some great fort food for my other toons

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Disciplinary Actions

These rules set boundaries to ensure that the Heroes of Dragon Age game and forums continue to be a friendly place where members can learn and share information on a variety of topics. As Heroes of Dragon Age and its forums are available to players 13 and older, refrain from excessive cursing/swearing. For more information, please see this link.

By accessing the EA Capital Games applications, users agree to accept that game administrators and moderators may remove any content submitted by a player as defined below. Users agree to EA Terms of Service as well. Misrepresenting oneself to engage in illegal activity will be immediately reported to EA for legal action.

Even though these are forums to allow free expression of ideas, there are other (real) people involved and one should respect their opinions and questions as ORIGINALLY POSTED IN THE TOPIC HEADINGS. Moderators are here to uphold and enforce these rules and the Terms of Service. Freedom to express your ideas, concerns, suggestions, and feedback, does not allow you the freedom of saying anything you want when you agree to the Terms of Service.

Unless otherwise stated, courses of action will be as follows:

1. First Offense - Warning
                              2. Second Offense - 3 day ban
                              3. Third Offense - 1 week ban
                              4. Fourth Offense - Permanent ban

If you have received a Permanent ban, this will extend to all future accounts created. If you are discovered to create a new account, it will also be banned.

What is not permitted in the discussion forum:

Advertising
                              Advertising or soliciting other members to buy, sell, or peruse any products or services including other applications or accounts, along with chain letters and junk mail.

Topics/posts that contain this will be both edited and closed or deleted, and an immediate 3-day ban will be issued without warning.

Hatred
                              Racism, bigotry, misogyny, hate speech, discrimination against any race, sexual preference, gender, or religion will not be tolerated.

All topics/posts will be deleted. Death threats, even joking, will be deleted and an immediate 3-day ban will be issued without warning, with further review from the Lead Moderator.

Flaming
                              Flaming includes material that is knowingly defamatory, illegal, abusive, threatening or harassing.

As with anything, you, as a member, should use good common sense when posting. In other words, you agree not to be a jerk. Posts containing personal attacks on another user will be edited/deleted at the moderators’ will. All posts/threads will be deleted.

Flaming or bashing of EA/CG, the devs, or the mods is not allowed. All such posts/threads will be deleted and an immediate 3-day ban will be issued without warning.

Right to Privacy
                              You will not violate a person's privacy by publishing, against another member's will, any information that is private and personal. Nor will you post private communication between EA Capital Games Support, other forum members, moderators, community managers, administrators, EA Capital Games employees, or partners of EA Capital Games on these forums or anywhere else.

Unless expressly endorsed by EA Capital Games, publicizing any correspondence of a private nature such as support tickets, email, Private Messages (PM) or chat logs thereof by any medium is NOT permitted.

Discussing or posting of another player's spending habits will be deleted.

Spamming
                              Obvious spam (repetitive nonsense posts) will result in the poster permanently banned and all posts deleted.

Porn
                              Material that is sexually or otherwise obscene is not permitted on these forums.

Topics/posts containing such will be deleted on sight. Forum poster will be permanently banned from the forums.

Warez
                              Providing or asking for information regarding the illegal downloading of "warez", "gamez" or any other software protected by copyright.

Future Events/Promotions
                              Any posts or threads revealing future events or promotions that were not disclosed by the Capital Games team will be deleted.

Cross-posting
                              Posting the same question in more than one forum is not allowed. Should this occur, then only the thread in the most relevant forum will be left open; all others will be locked/closed and subsequently deleted.

Cheating
                              The use of any exploits or known bugs or editing of files in order to gain an unfair advantage while playing, will result in a permanent game and forum ban.

Accusing another player of cheating will result in your post/thread being deleted and a message sent to you, stating to refrain from further accusations. If continued accusations occur, a forum ban will result. If you believe a player to be cheating, send a PM to the Community Manager with as much detail as possible.

Please privately contact the Community Manager in order to submit an inquiry regarding this behavior.

Off-Topic Posting
                              Taking over a thread by posting excessively off-topic is not allowed. Off-Topic posts and any responses will be moved to their own, new thread if possible, or else deleted.

Political Posting
                              Because political beliefs, like religion, are a personal and sensitive topic, avoid posting about politics on the forums.

Customer Support Inquiries
                              All inquiries regarding Customer Support should be routed through the online web portal for support. The Community Manager and Moderators are unable to assist with inquiries regarding support tickets. Posting your ticket number and requesting assistance on the forums will result in the post being deleted. Sending a Private Message to the Community Manager or Moderators about CSR Inquiries is not to be tolerated, and will be ignored.

Additionally, all interactions with Customer Support are considered confidential, and all issues are handled on a case-by-case basis. As such, posts containing transcripts or results of your interactions with Customer Support will be edited or deleted. Keep in mind that your friend's case may not be exactly like your case, so the results of your request may differ from the results of your friend. Customer Support will not discuss the details of any player's case with any other player, but will provide support to you under our established, confidential policies. Asking why your request was resolved differently than another player will result in your post being deleted.

Violation of these terms is grounds for removal from EA Capital Games games.

What should I do if I see objectionable material on the forums?
                              It is important that members recognize the real-time nature of this forum: the moderators cannot always monitor the contents of posted messages, and as such depend upon you to inform them when participants or their messages are violating our policy as stated here. You must also recognize that they cannot respond immediately to such notices and that some time may pass before any warranted action is taken.

To contact a moderator, please use the Flag Post function on the post represented by a flag:

What happens if I break the rules?
                              At best, your post will be edited by one of the moderators and you will be issued a warning. If the offense is more serious your post will be deleted. Posting "why was my post edited/deleted?" etc. will only make matters worse, so please don't. If a moderator has not sent you a message stating why, please send the Lead Moderator a message asking for a reason.

Should you have already been issued warnings and continue to break the rules, you will be issued an infraction - your posting privileges will be disabled for three days, but you will still be able to view the forums as a guest.

For persistent and deliberate rule-breakers your account will be "Banned". That means you are no longer welcome on these forums and/or games and your account will no longer function in them. If you re-register, your new account will be banned as well.

Posting Suggestions
                              In the attempt to create a compromise where everyone is happy, the following suggestions are also recommended:

1. Be civil and courteous. This forum is visited by people from all over the world, of different ages, genders, religions, and backgrounds, and are each entitled to their own opinion. Keep in mind that in most cases, posts are not intended to offend. If you find yourself taking offense at a post, take a step back and contact the person directly, or appeal to a moderator for arbitration. Don't make the situation worse by posting in anger and lashing out at the original poster. Also, see Flaming, Right to Privacy, and Hatred.

2. Make sure that your message topics fit the topic description of the forum in which you are posting. This is for your own benefit - for example, a question regarding a bug or problem should be posted in the Feedback section under the appropriate heading.

3. Use the search function before posting, particularly if the question is problem oriented. Most technical questions have been answered before, and solutions are freely available. Additionally, before posting a bug, check the Known Issues thread to quickly see if the staff is already aware, and to find the discussion thread about that issue.

4. Make sure that you have followed #3 before posting

5. Read the sticky threads at the top of each forum - they are there for a reason, and generally contain information relevant to the forum and/or game.

6. Don't quote the entire message that you're responding to, only the pertinent passage. This makes it easier to read for other users.

7. If you find it easier to express yourself en français, auf Deutsch, en español, in Nederlands, in Italiano, or any other language, post in the International Discussion forum. Hopefully someone who speaks the same language as you will be able to assist you. All posts in other sections (non-International) of the forums must be in English, so please make use of Google Translate if you need assistance with translation. Posting in English will allow the widest range of people to assist you.

In addition to the Forum Rules, you are bound to the general EA Terms of Service both on these forums and in the game. Links to the TOS are as follows:

EA TOS English
                              EA TOS French
                              EA TOS German
                              EA TOS Russian
                              EA TOS Spanish

By registering and posting on these forums, you agree to be bound to the rules and disciplinary actions set forth above.
                              See more
                              See less
                              Working...
                              X